Location: Hershey, PA
Pay Level: Intern
Duration: Fall 2020
Process Engineering Intern/Co-OpThis posting is for multiple positions within The Hershey Company’s various engineering groups located in Hershey, PA. The goal of these engineering internship/co-op positions are to provide opportunities for students to gain real world engineering experience in the Consumer Packaged Goods and Food processing industry and to help students develop professionally in a progressive manner with an increasing amount of responsibility. The differences between these groups are listed below in this posting. All positions will give you an excellent opportunity to gain real world experience while working under the supervision of experienced Process Engineers to meet the Company goals pertaining to process design, product commercialization, or continuous improvement. These positions are ideally suited for students who are interested in and capable of working multiple rotations starting in August for the Fall 2020 semester. This is not a summer internship.
Responsibilities:Typical Student assignments & responsibilities may include:
- Designing and conducting pilot and production scale processes and tests, documenting and evaluating data, and writing technical reports
- Identifying process equipment through testing, establishing equipment operating parameters, and providing process flows diagrams
- Specifying, purchasing, installing, and commissioning new process equipment.
- Preparing proper documentation of project work, including PFD's, P&ID's, engineering calculations, process design documentation, and process test reports
- Performing material balance, fluid flow and heat transfer calculations
- Working with multidisciplinary teams including personnel from manufacturing, product development, analytical research, quality assurance, industrial engineering, electrical engineering, and packaging engineering, equipment manufacturers, and installation contractors
- Designing, troubleshooting and optimizing manufacturing processes and products
Product Commercialization Engineering position:
The Product Commercialization engineering group is responsible for providing engineering support for the development of new confectionery and snack products and processes to deliver successful manufacturing solutions for the growth and innovation efforts at The Hershey Company.
- Determining manufacturing feasibility by testing and evaluating products and processes in the Hershey pilot plant or at vendor facilities.
- Developing process flow diagrams and identifying and documenting key processing parameters for each unit operation.
- Supporting product sample production for consumer testing and sales samples.
- Providing production startup support and training.
EducationMust be an undergraduate student majoring in Chemical, Mechanical, Agricultural, Biological, Food, Electrical or Automation Engineering, or similar program from an ABET accredited engineering program at the sophomore level or higher.
- Passionate with a strong desire to make a difference
- Intellectually curious and ability to deal with ambiguity and to learn on the fly
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to apply understanding of sciences (biology, chemistry, food technology, engineering) and mathematics to provide technical support to the business
- Action oriented with good planning and prioritization skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and work both independently and in multidisciplinary groups/teams with a high level of motivation
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills along with creativity, flexibility, and initiative
- A desire to work hands-on in the laboratory, pilot plant, and manufacturing environments with equipment & products.
- Proficiency with common Windows based computer software programs, including Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access.
- Experience or familiarity with AutoCAD, MathCAD, SAP, and programming languages is preferred
- Eligibility to work in the United States for any employer
- A valid Drivers’ License and a means of reliable transportation
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in our North American manufacturing facilities or other assignments as required, up to 50% of the time
- Availability to work on a flexible schedule from time to time including off-shifts and weekends
- Ability to lift fifty pounds
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans