CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: London, United Kingdom
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse, Instagram and YouTube for an inside look into 'Life At CBSi' through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
- The senior reporter is responsible for delivering stories across a broad range of business and technology subjects that are important, interesting and engaging for our large global audience.
- They will be expected to contribute on- and off-diary story ideas, and deliver highly polished copy to tight deadlines as part of ZDNet’s global team. They will also be comfortable appearing on camera talking about tech issues, too.
- The senior reporter will be part of ZDNet’s global news team, so you’ll always be on the look out for breaking news and exclusive angles on tech stories that matter to our audience. You’ll be expected to contribute ideas to news meetings with the editor and the rest of the team.
- You’ll also be responsible for generating your own ideas for stories and establishing the important issues that need reporting.
- Those stories might come from press conferences, calls, interviews or other events that you will attend.
- You’ll typically produce two or three articles a day, each ranging from 200 to 500 words, though this number will vary widely depending on length and type of article (they could be anything from 200-word briefs to 1200-word analyses or Q&As).
- You may also have to find news worthy graphics, images and charts for your stories, and make sure that your stories are coordinated with the rest of ZDNet’s global team of reporters.
- You will also be comfortable appearing on camera – for example being interviewed about your stories for short ZDNet videos.
- You will also be comfortable using a wide range of social media to find stories, share your work and engage with readers
- As well as breaking news and features there is also the opportunity for senior reporters to work on our award-winning long-form features and monthly deep dives into big technology issues.
What you bring to the team:
- The ability to write different types of news story, from short, snappy briefs to long analytical pieces, with good news structure, high attention to accuracy and detail, and the ability to grasp complex issues and explain them in a clear, readable way.
- Good interviewing skills and related communications skills
- A good general knowledge of the whole enterprise technology sector is essential, as is the ability to cover stories outside you own area of knowledge when required.
- The skills to generate and pursue off-diary story ideas that nobody else is writing
- Be willing to undertake some travel both in the UK and abroad on occasion
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled